Debate IT Online

DMA

I’ve been hearing a lot about what teachers and students and men and women all think about the ‘right’ length of skirt and if there even is one?

Now, I already have a paragraph I wrote to a teacher at a school because he kept telling girls to pull their skirts down. What do you think? And would you like me to send what I’ve written? 

• 8 months later...

Society has a problem with men sexualising women and sexually assaulting them, and sadly the first justification proposed is often the clothing worn by the woman, such as skirt length. This is victim blaming and unacceptable, obviously.

However, what can actually be done in the short term to prevent sexual assaults of this nature? I think certainly one option is, yes, dress in a manner that would mitigate your sexualisability, such as wearing longer skirts. Is this fair on women? No. Is this justified in the long term? Also no, but I think it's a matter of being street smart and understanding, (as awful and as unfair as it may be), that some men do in fact want to hurt women and some do have "Well she was asking for it" ideologies, and that this isn't changing anytime soon.

Societal change of this magnitude is difficult and takes a considerable amount of time, and I'm not really sure what the right move is. But for now, while that change is taking place and we're tackling this issue, I think it's sensible and wise to try and mitigate the risk as much as you can for yourself, and look out for others and spread awareness that sexual assault and the like is not ok.

• 3 weeks later...

There are far more rules about girls clothes than boys. When teenagers are denied classroom time it privileges their sexualisation then their right to learn. The enforced dress code in schools is a double standard that punishes girls due to the being a distraction for the boys because they are unable to have control over their hormones. The idea that visible legs on show will distract boys from learning is ridiculous . The schools priority should be creating a learning environment for everyone rather than praising boys and shaming girls because of the length of their skirts. I feel that the dress code in regards to the length of skirts should be fair 

In my school the skorts provided in PE and are shorter than skirts being worn around school and schools should be focusing on the actual problem of the sexualisation of girls rather than the length of girls chosen lenth of skirts 

Personally I dont feel comfortable in a skirt 1, because I dont like the style and prefer trousers  and 2 because I would feel constantly under the gaze of others and boys shouting and cat calling girls around school and school should focus on the comments being shouted around school rather than sexualising girls and the desires length